Barrie Colts weekend recap

Ryan Suzuki (Barrie Colts) Celebrates after scoring the games first goal vs Niagara Saturday at Colts Centre – Photo by Sam Hossack (OHL Network)

The Barrie Colts returned to Colts Centre on Thursday night for their first of two home games this weekend. The Colts picked up all four points with a 3-2 win Thursday VS Owen Sound and a 4 – 3 win Saturday versus Niagara.


THURSDAY: Owen Sound Attack – 2 Barrie Colts – 3

The Attack came into Colts Country looking to continue the success they had in September when they picked up a 10-0 Win in Barrie. The Colts had other plans however as they were led on the scoresheet by Tyson Foerster, Luke Bignell, and Matej Pekar.

In the First Period, It was Alliston, Ontario native Tyson Foerster finding himself wide open in the slot and when he received the pass from Ryan Suzuki he made no mistake to make it 1 – 0.

The Attack got their first of the night as Andrew Perott took a slap shot that would beat Arturs Silovs to tie the game at 1.

Before the period came to an end it was Luke Bignell using his speed to get to the net after making a slick cross-ice pass to Jacob Tortora who gave it back to Bignell who tapped it home.

In the Second Period while on the Power-Play it was Suzuki who fired the puck on net and Matej Pekar picked up the rebound to put the Colts ahead 3 – 1.

In the Third Period while shorthanded Tyson Foerster and Luke Bignell both had breakaways but it was Mack Guzda standing tall for the Attack stopping both.

Midway through the final frame, a beautiful passing play by the Attack was capped off as Sergey Popov put it past Silovs to make it 3 – 2.

The Attack would pull their goalie with under one minute to go but two big saves by Silovs helped save the win for the Colts who improved to 7-4-0-0, The Attack fell to 7-3-0-1.


1 – Arturs Silovs (Win, 40 Saves) 

2 – Matej Pekar (1 Goal, 1 Assist, 2 Points, 5 Shots)

3 – Ryan Suzuki (2 Assists, 3 Shots) 


Saturday: Niagara IceDogs – 4 Barrie Colts – 4

Tyson Foerster stole the spotlight for the Colts on Saturday at Colts Centre as the NHL Draft Eligible player picked up two goals including the game-winner on a penalty shot.

Carolina Hurricanes prospect Ryan Suzuki opened the scoring for the Colts in the first period as he found an impossible angle over the shoulder of Tucker Tynan to make it 1 -0.

In the second period, it was Tyson Foerster on the power play from Suzuki to make it 2 – 0 before Matthew Hill fired a rocket from the blue line to make it 3 – 0.

The IceDogs put one behind Silovs before the end of the period, but it was deemed by video review that Cameron Snow was offside.

In the Third Period, the IceDogs came out flying as LA Kings Prospect Akil Thomas drew an interference penalty on Arturs Silvos before beating him on the Power Play to make it 3 – 1.

Four minutes later the game changed as it was Ivan Lodnia finding the back of the net from Thomas to make it 3 – 2 before Phil Tomasino tied the game 3 – 3 just 35 seconds later.

With just over two minutes to go Tyson Foerster was sprung on a partial breakaway and was slashed which awarded him a penalty shot

On the penalty shot (Link Below) Foerster went from his forehand to backhand last second and let it slide towards the goal line and it would go in.




The Colts held off the late attack from the IceDogs and held on for the 4 – 3 Victory.


Postgame Sam Hossack caught up with Luke Bignell and Matej Pekar of the Colts.

#12 Matej Pekar

# 22 Luke Bignell


The Colt’s next action will be on Wednesday morning as they take on the Hamilton Bulldogs in their annual school day game. Puck drop is set for 10:30 AM.